The board of directors of the Alexandria, Va-based Convention Industry Council (CIC) has approved a series of organizational changes designed to help it better pursue its core mission and programs. The changes come nearly a year after the board met at the December 2007 International Association of Exhibitions and Events (IAEE) Annual Meeting & Exhibition in Las Vegas, where it initiated a strategic realignment of CIC goals and initiatives.
"It's been an incredible year of change for CIC and I have been energized by the process and the outcome," CIC Chair Brenda Anderson, CEO of the Society of Incentive & Travel Executives, said in a statement. "Most of all, I have been impressed by the commitment and support of CIC member organizations and their leaders."
Following the CIC board meeting at IAEE, Anderson managed the process of implementing the board's approved changes, which included governance reorganization, a management transition and a refocus on CIC's core mission and programs.
"Our first task was to better define who we are and why we exist," Anderson continued. "Then we had to operationalize our focus by partnering with an association management company that would align with this. Finally, we had to restructure ourselves to manage and deliver on our strategic goals."
In line with its new direction, the CIC board ratified a set of bylaw amendments at a meeting last week that will allow it to restructure itself and establish a new, smaller operational board, which will focus on operations and program management. The members of that board will include:
• Chair: Eric Allen, Healthcare Convention and Exhibitors Association
• Chair Elect: Deborah Sexton, Professional Convention and Management Association
• Immediate Past Chair: Brenda Anderson, Society of Incentive and Travel Executives
• CMP Board Chair: Keith Sexton-Patrick, Mohegan Sun
• APEX Commission Chair: Terri Breining, Concepts Worldwide Inc.
• CIC CSE: Gregg Talley, Talley Management Group Inc.
• One Year At-Large Term: Bob Gilbert, Hospitality Sales and Marketing International; Martin Sirk, International Congress and Convention Association; Stacy Tetschner, National Speakers Association
• Two Year At-Large Term: Roger Dow, Travel Industry Association; Bruce MacMillan, Meeting Professionals International; Fran Rickenbach, Association of Destination Management Executives
Despite organizational and strategic changes, the CIC board has promised that it will continue to scan and raise awareness of key industry issues.
"Our commitment to CMP, APEX and the Hall of Leaders remains unchanged," said new CIC Chair Eric Allen, executive vice president of the Healthcare Convention and Exhibitors Association (HCEA). "Our added opportunity is in being a strong voice for the industry and to expand our global impact. I am excited by all of our future opportunities. I believe the 'new' CIC is more important than ever as we face the economic challenges ahead for our industry."