Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide plans to open 11 new Le Méridien hotels within the next 12 months, it announced this week.
“Last year, we signed more new Le Méridien hotels and resorts than any year since we added Le Méridien to Starwood’s portfolio of world-class brands,” Starwood Hotels & Resorts President of Global Development Simon Turner said in a statement. “We are proud to announce another equally strong year of growth momentum for Le Méridien, fueled by tremendous owner and developer interest around the world. The pace of both conversion and adaptive re-use projects has been the key driver of the brand’s growth, accounting for nearly all the openings this year in North America, and approximately half of those opening in other global markets.”
The new openings — which include five U.S. hotels — are:
• Le Méridien Tampa in Tampa, Fla., opening in May 2014;
• Le Méridien Dhaka in Bangladesh, opening in July 2014;
• Le Méridien Chicago – Oakbrook Center in Oak Brook, Ill., opening in July 2014;
• Le Méridien Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok Golf Resort & Spa in Bangkok, Thailand, opening in August 2014;
• Le Méridien Charlotte in Charlotte, N.C., opening in August 2014;
• Le Méridien Gandhinagar, Ahmedabad Road in India, opening in September 2014;
• Le Méridien Mahabaleshwar Resort & Spa in India, opening in October 2014;
• Le Méridien Indianapolis, opening in November 2014;
• Le Méridien New Orleans, opening in winter 2014;
• Le Méridien Thimphu in Bhutan, opening in January 2015; and
• Le Méridien Jiaonan Resort in Qingdao, China, opening in January 2015.
“In 2014, Le Méridien will continue on a remarkable growth trajectory focused on global growth across the board,” said Brian Povinelli, global brand leader for Starwood’s Le Méridien and Westin brands. “With a reinvigorated brand positioning, built off our promise of unlocking the destination for guests, we are committed to offering a range of curated experiences around the arts, culture and cuisine in key destinations around the world.”
Starwood acquired Le Méridien — established in Paris in 1972 — in 2005 and subsequently re-launched the French-born hotel brand around the themes of art and food. Presently, the brand has nearly 100 properties in more than 40 countries.
For a recap of last week's top stories, check out MeetingNews Minute:
> Watch More Videos