Its Latin American pipeline just got a lot more full, according to Hilton Worldwide, which this week announced that it has signed nine new properties in Mexico. Representing a number of Hilton brands -- including Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Curio - A Collection by Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton by Hilton, and Homewood Suites by Hilton, the properties collectively will have nearly 1,200 rooms.
"Mexico continues experiencing impressive tourism growth, and the addition of these hotels will help satisfy the increasing demand from both leisure and business travelers," said Juan Corvinos, Hilton's managing director of development for Mexico, Central America, and the Hispanic Caribbean. "With nearly 100 open properties in Latin America, Hilton continues to actively pursue growth opportunities in the region. We currently have a robust pipeline of more than 60 hotels across Latin America, including over 30 projects in Mexico."
Hilton's nine newly-signed properties are:
• Hilton Guadalajara Midtown: Expected to open in the first quarter of 2018, the 226-room Hilton Guadalajara Midtown is located northwest of Guadalajara.
• The Fives Downtown Hotel Playa del Carmen, Curio Collection by Hilton: The Fives Downtown Hotel Playa del Carmen will be Hilton's first property in the coastal town of Playa del Carmen in Mexico's Riviera Maya region. The 93-room new-build hotel will reflect the region's natural offerings with a grand wall of live plants and embedded elements that emulate the roots of trees, as well as a skylight. Its rooftop will feature a restaurant, signature cocktail bar, infinity pool, pool bar, and lounge.
• 1970 Hotel Posadas Guadalajara, Curio Collection by Hilton: The 160-room 1970 Hotel Posadas Guadalajara will be in the heart of Guadalajara, the capital of tequila and mariachi. The property, which will have a restaurant, bar, gift shop, and fitness center, will be centered around an open-air courtyard lobby, featuring industrial metals and raw wood materials with vivid pops of colors and elaborate patterns.
• Zacatecas Centro Historico, Curio Collection by Hilton: Located in a 19th-century building in the city of Zacatecas, this property will undergo interior renovations before opening as Zacatecas Centro Historico in early 2018. Its design will focus on simple and elegant finishes in bright colors that enhance the building's original architecture and details, including its historic exterior, doors, and windows. The hotel will feature 32 rooms, while adjoining retail space will house two restaurants, a coffee shop, and specialty stores.
• Hilton Garden Inn Merida: Hilton Garden Inn Merida is slated to open in Q1 2017, with 128 rooms in the area of Altabrisa. Just north of Merida, the hotel will provide convenient access to Plaza Altabrisa, one of the largest shopping malls in the city.
• Hilton Garden Inn Mexico City Santa Fe: The 189-room Hilton Garden Inn Mexico City Santa Fe is expected to open in late 2017 as part of the first dual-branded Hilton property in Mexico. The 172-room DoubleTree by Hilton Mexico City Santa Fe, the other half of the development, opened last month. The hotel will be located near Centro Santa Fe, the largest shopping center in Latin America.
• Hilton Garden Inn and Homewood Suites by Hilton Saltillo: Slated to open in late 2019, this dual-branded property will bring 200 hotel rooms to the capital of Coahulia, including 110 rooms in a Hilton Garden Inn and 90 suites in a Homewood Suites by Hilton.
• Hampton Inn by Hilton Cancun: The 134-room Hampton Inn by Hilton Cancun is scheduled to open in the second quarter of 2017 in the Pabellon Cumbres area of the Cancun.
These nine hotels will join a portfolio of more than 45 existing Hilton hotels that are already open in Mexico.
Up your meetings-industry IQ. Check out the latest edition of 30 Seconds to Smart!