Boutique hotelier Ian Schrager and Marriott International are expanding their joint venture, EDITION Hotels, with seven new luxury-lifestyle hotels opening across three continents in 2018, they announced yesterday.
Marriott originally unveiled EDITION in January 2008, but stalled development plans when hotel financing dried up in late 2008 and 2009. It opened its first EDITION hotel in Honolulu in 2010 -- what is now The Modern Honolulu -- and currently has hotels in London, Miami Beach, New York, and Sanya, China, each of which features its own distinct design, but has a shared EDITION "ethos."
"All of the EDITION hotels are unique, original, and one of a kind, embedded with a sense of time and place," said Schrager, who is best known for creating Studio 54 in the 1970s.
The seven new EDITION hotels coming in 2018 are:
• The Shanghai EDITION in Shanghai, China, which will launch in mid-2018 with 147 guest rooms, 2,800 square feet of meeting space, and several food and beverage outlets, including a member's club bar with a private screening room, an indoor nightlife venue, a rooftop bar, and a Cantonese restaurant with five private dining rooms.
• The Bodrum EDITION in Bodrum, Turkey, will launch in mid-2018 with 99 guest rooms, suites, and villas, all of which will have views of the Aegean Sea and some of which will have private pools, balconies, and gardens. Amenities will include an infinity pool, garden lounge, spa, fitness center, beach club, and nightclub, as well as over 4,000 square feet of meeting and event space.
• The Times Square EDITION (pictured) in New York will launch in mid-2018 with 457 guest rooms and four levels of public space, including a 5,000-square-foot performance venue, a 1,900-square-foot meeting studio, a fitness center, a lobby lounge, and a signature restaurant that will lead out onto a 5,800-square-foot beer garden and event deck overlooking Times Square.
• The Barcelona EDITION in Barcelona, Spain, will open in mid-2018 inside an existing office building that's being retrofitted into a contemporary hotel. It will have 100 guest rooms, a signature restaurant, a rooftop bar, a pool, a fitness center, and a nightclub.
• The Bangkok EDITION will debut in mid-2018 as Thailand's tallest building. It will have 155 guest rooms and over 5,500 square feet of meeting space, as well as two signature restaurants, a pool, a fitness center, and a spa with four treatment rooms.
• The Abu Dhabi EDITION in the United Arab Emirates will launch in late 2018 on Abu Dhabi's downtown waterfront. It will have 244 guest rooms and 57 private residences, two signature restaurants, a tea lounge, a three-story nightclub, a pool, a fitness center, a spa with seven treatment rooms, and over 107,000 square feet of meeting and event space.
• The West Hollywood EDITION in West Hollywood, CA, will open in late 2018 with 190 guest rooms, 20 private residences, and over 5,200 square feet of meeting space, as well as a signature restaurant, a rooftop pool, a spa with four treatment rooms, and a nightclub/bar.
These new hotels will grow the EDITION portfolio from a collection of four hotels to a collection of 11 by the end of next year, according to Marriott, which has signed agreements to develop nine further hotels across five continents by 2020, bringing its portfolio to 20 hotels by the end of the decade.
Up your meetings-industry IQ. Check out the latest edition of 30 Seconds to Smart!