In our February issue, we looked at the “Taste of Aruba
” event hosted by the Aruba Tourism Authority. Below are some recipes of the island treats offered at that event and other local favorites.
Recipe Aruba Ariba
3⁄4 oz rum
3⁄4 oz vodka
1⁄2 oz banana liquor
1 oz orange juice
1 oz pineapple juice
1 splash grand Marnier
1 splash cherry syrup
Pour ingredients in to a blender with ice then serve in a martini glass
Vanilla milk custard with eggnog soup, vanilla sponge cake, Italian meringue and milk granite.
4.2 cups (1 liter) of milk
4.2 cups (1 liter) heavy cream
2 Vanilla beans
1.6 cups of sugar
10 egg yolks
2 sheets of gelatin
1. Soak gelatin in cold water till soft.
Place milk, cream and vanilla in a saucepan, Bring to a boil then remove from heat. Remove vanilla pods.
2. Wisk the sugar and egg yolks together in a large bowl until pale and frothy.
Pour the milk little by little whisking vigorously, when completely mixed. Pour or strain mix into a clean saucepan and whisk over a low heat until thick custard is formed.When thick, add the gelatin and set in forms or cups to cool.
1⁄2 cup sugar
1.5 pint milk
3 ounces bourbon
1.5 tsp grated nutmeg
6 egg whites
1. Beat egg yolks until they lighten in color, gradually add the 1/3 of the sugar and continue to beat until completely dissolved then set aside.
2. In a pan combine the milk, cream and nutmeg and bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and temper the hot mix into egg sugar mix. Return mix to a pot and cook until mix reaches 160 F, Remove from heat, Add rum. Put in a metal bowl and cool.
3. Beat the whites to a soft peak, gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks. Mix whites into chilled mixture.
4.2 cups (1 liter) milk
7 Tablespoons of sugar
Mix both and pour on large tray and freeze.
½ of cup of egg whites
A little less than one cup of sugar
3.5 ounces of water
1. Beat whites till soft peaks
2. Boil sugar till 121C
3. Pour slowly and let completely cool down while beating
.73 cups of flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 large eggs
12.25 Tablespoons soft butter
.76 cup of brown sugar
1 vanilla bean
1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. In a mixing bowl, put flour and baking powder in a sieve and sift into the bowl.
3. Add all ingredients to the bowl providing that the butter is soft and mix with rubber spatula or wooden spoon. If mixture drops off the spatula or spoon with a tab on the bowl its good. If it seems to stiff add a little water.
4. Bake the cakes in the middle shelf of the oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Do not open the oven until 35 minutes have elapsed.
5. To test if cake is done, touch the center, if it leaves no impression and the sponges spring back it’s done.
6. Remove from the oven, wait 5 min before turning then out on a cooling rack